Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Will Someone Take a Picture of ME???

WARNING:  This post is of the same pride as my Hawaiian post a year ago.  What is it about August?  I need serious help!  

No one takes pictures of me.

Cam hates the camera (unless he is taking pictures of rock formations and flowers in Hawaii) and the kids don't really think about it.

So I am left to take all of the pictures which is great, except I am never in them.  That may not seem like a big deal, but one day WHEN I DIE, they'll want to do a movie of me for the viewing and they won't be able to because there won't be any pictures of me.  Actually, that isn't true. There are pictures of me, but only ones that I detest.  It is so sad that that will be the memory the kids will have of me with my hair all disgusting and they'll think I ALWAYS looked like that.  Sadly, the few times I actually looked cute, nobody took my picture.

I was especially sad that in St. George at the Sand Dunes I looked HOT!  Seriously, my hair was done (a rare thing in St. George) and I was lounging around in that orangey sand.  It would have made an adorable kid/mother shot, but it didn't occur to Cam to capture such a moment.  I tried to hint by taking his picture several times and a bunch of the kids, but nobody caught on.





Instead, Cam waited until I had been to the pool all day and hadn't done my hair and THEN took my picture.  I am foiled every time!

I have even tried taking a picture of myself sometimes, but my face always ends up looking like a Horse face. Oh, well.

(A self portrait of me and Cy.  NEIGHGGHGH!)

It is a real problem, though, and one that can't really be fixed.  Taking a photo of someone is kind of like a pat on the back--Hey, I like you!  Hey, I want a picture of you BECAUSE YOU ARE SPECIAL!  It kind of defeats the purpose to say, "Um, do you think I'm special?  Do you think that you might be able to take my picture? Here is the camera.  Yeah, just push that button.  Let me act like I'm having a lot of fun.  Hold on, let me get ready."

Haven't you ever been to someone's house and they have all of these adorable pictures of their family.  They are all (of course) black and white and zoomed in and the mom is carelessly laughing and beautiful and all of these moments have been captured (real or not!).  It would be kind of nice to have that, but I'd just be happy for a couple 4x6s stuck in a book somewhere!  JK (sort of).

7 comments:

debi said...

Our photo albums make it look like Marc is a single parent :)

Liz, in New York said...

Thank you for giving voice to my current big complaint! There are a total of 5 pictures of me since I got married and they are all tragically ugly. Trent was a picture taking maniac until he got married. Now, I swear, Lillian will grow up believing that her father played with her every second of every day and that her mother was nowhere to be seen.

Danny and Shalayne said...

Steffani - please oh please let me take pictures of you! SERIOUS!!!!! I have been dreaming about taking pics of you and the rest of your family for like 4 months!!! I can't promise they will be the best pictures ever but they are free!!! seriously, I'm calling you to schedule a date.

And no worries...there are maybe 3 pictures of me and Ada and they are usually out of focus or on auto. haha...we need to have a camera etiquette and training class for our husbands :)

Cam said...

Okay, this is the second time Steff has thrown me under the bus over this whole photo issue. The truth is, I went back and counted the number of photos I took of Steff on our last trip to St. George and stopped counting at 18. And what about the 5+ photos I took of Steff at 6:00 a.m. after after dragging myself out of bed on vacation and dropping her off at the mouth of Snow's Canyon so she could run back to the condo. Beautiful shots of her as she graced the red rock cliff's with her amazing figure as the sun came up. Oh, funny, none of those count I guess.

Ran over husband.

Sara Jensen said...

I think every mom must feel this way. Most of the times I don't mind because I usually feel like I look crazy, but there are moments when I am looking descent and would like a picture taken. My mom is always so great at taking pictures of everyone, next time you are feeling totally attractive go over there, you won't even have to hint, she'll offer to take your picture! Another thing you can do is have your kids take a picture of you and Cam (that way you will both be in it AND you won't feel silly for asking for it....)I put together a scrapbook of photos of just us for one anniversary and realized that after we had kids there are almost no photos of just the two of us; the ones I have I cherish!

Camille said...

I think you're one of the most beautiful people I know.

I'm not kidding.

Stacey Keller Thompson said...

I'm guilty as charged. I don't take pictures. I need to take more pictures of everyone. I'm glad I read this to remind myself to take more pictures. Next time I remember, I'll come over and take your picture too! Luckily you ALWAYS look like a model.