Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Loving Las Palmas

Next to Hawaii, Las Palmas in St. George is our favorite place to go as a family. We went the last week of June.

The kids loved the dollar store airplanes we picked up to keep them busy on Sunday night.




If being a pilot doesn't work out, Cy might look into being a plumber when he grows up.

Calvin and Coleman had some awesome jumps off the diving board.




Calvin was never short of sticks or bark. Our front porch was covered with them.

We went to a reservoir that warned us as we drove in, "SWIMMER'S ITCH IS ALIVE AND WELL." It was no big deal, they told us, just a parasite that burrows into your skin and causes a rash for a few days. That sounds pleasant. Somehow, the word parasite made Cam and I a little less than excited to get in the water. Cy was the only one who ended up with the itch.

I tried to stay safe on the raft while Coleman slopped mud on me.


After 30 minutes at the reservoir, we packed up and went hiking to the narrows. Cy was not happy about hiking anywhere--at least not until after. Why are moms and dads always right?


How are we going to fit between that?


So hot!


We also visited Grandpa Davis and Uncle Kent down there. Grandpa can hardly stand, walk, or talk anymore, but he still goes 5 days a week to the temple and does 1 endowment session and 3 sealing sessions. When I expressed amazement, Grandpa said, "It's better than watching TV." I loved that! Kent hometeaches about 15 people each month and takes care of the rest of the ward as High Priest Group Leader. I left inspired and wanted to serve better and more cheerfully.



My favorite part was watching my boys play and laugh together.

We went to the sand dunes.


Cy broke the kitchen cabinet climbing up to get some food. Luckily, he has an amazing father who can fix anything!

He had to get some cement/wood filler stuff to redrill the screws because Cy managed to rip out all of the particle board where the door was screwed in.

We loved eating dinner out on the patio.


Calvin had a one-track mind the entire trip and wanted to catch a frog. We found one on my running trail and a kid caught it for him. Thankfully, we convinced him to let "Petey" go before we left.
Our other favorite memories from the trip:
Custards from Nelson's Custard--we got 3 of them!
In and Out Burger--Calvin had his first one and said it was way better than McDonalds because it fills you all the way to your neck and McDonalds only fills it a quarter.
Coleman and Calvin got to go golfing alone with their dad. Coleman got to drive his first golf cart.
Reading by the pool.
Warm, balmy nights.
Steffani running from Snow Canyon back to the condo.
Seeing Night at the Museum 2: Sacadewaga, Sacawawaswaswaghgyt, Sack-in-a-box, Sacademia, Cinco de Mayo--Mission Accomplished

3 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

I saw Coleman today when I was driving past your house. He's gotten taller!

Liz, in New York said...

What a fun trip! I haven't been to Las Palmas since we went together in high school...somehow I think your trip was better than that, even!

Hey...we're coming back to Utah in August. Can we see you guys for real this time? Last time got a little crazy, but we'd love to have a date or a little time with you and Cam. Call me or email me and maybe we can plan something. I miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

write more!!!!!!! i like to read it:-)

-coleman