Monday, August 17, 2009

Mountains

I used to hate hiking. The hike at girls camp was the worst thing ever. We'd complain, try to pretend sick, or do anything we could to get out of it. Somehow it seemed impossible to get all the way up to that lone pine. It was torturous and hot and I hated it.

Since marrying Cam I have learned to love hiking. I love being in the mountains. I love the trees. I love the cool air. I love the gnarled roots of the trees under my feet. I love the dirt and the changing leaves. I love the trees that beat the odds and grow sideways and then up--anything they can do to reach heavenward. I love the shade and the sunshine and the clean air.


But still, it's not easy heading up the mountains for a hike. I still breathe harder and my muscles burn and my legs feel like jello coming down. But it isn't as daunting or as torturous as it used to be. And that's because I can enjoy what I'm looking at while my lungs are on fire and my legs are wiggly. Maybe I've matured a little since then, and for sure I'm stronger physically than I was then. But this last week I saw true strength from three amazing women who are each climbing huge mountains that my little 12-year-old self would only balk at!

I was amazed as I talked to them about the mountains they are facing at how strong they are. They are putting one foot in front of the other, and, switch back after switch back, they keep going. They are keeping their families, their spirits, and their lives together through their faith in the Savior. This hike for them is no nature walk. They are doing all they can to keep going, and I was blown away by it.
In the face of adversity, each of these women didn't turn and run away. They are facing forward and going forward. I thought about this Saturday as I hiked the Y to support Stephanie Nielsen (NieNie) who was burned with her husband in an airplane crash a year ago. She lost the body she and her children know. She lost the ability to do many of the things she was so good at before, and yet, she is working day by day to get better and to rejoice that she is still alive to raise her children. Coleman and I followed her up the mountain as she held her husband's and daughter's hands. She made it to the top. We went and met her (since we had only read her blog) to tell her how much we loved her and how much she had taught us as she has written about the daily ordeal of waking up to a new, painful, but beautiful life. I want to be a better mother and wife because of the way she cherishes her children and husband. I want to be grateful that I can move and cook dinner and do everything I want to do with ease. Her face was scarred and different than the pictures I had seen, but her eyes shown out and she was absolutely beautiful. She was gracious and kind. And it was an honor to meet her.
I felt the same way as I talked to Stacia about her mountain and how she is facing it with her husband and children. I was amazed at her optimism, her faith, and her diligence in just making things work. She is smiling and happy and beautiful. I felt the same way as Janalyn told me how after her 5-year-old son was killed in a tragic accident that she now knows what it takes to have the Holy Ghost in her home and she is determined to keep Him there. Thank you Stacia, Janalyn, and NieNie for inspiring me. For helping me see that I can also conquer mountains in my life--even if the biggest one is me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly gifted in so many things. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. YOU inspire me!
I love you,
Kristi

debi said...

your gifts amaze.....

Liz, in New York said...

We were so uplifted and inspired as we talked with you and Cam last week. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your lives and showing us by example what it means to be Christ-like.

I'm going to spend the next 10 years regretting that I didn't join you on that dang hike!

Camille said...

Liz and I really debated on going b/c we were close to Provo that night of the hike, but it just wasn't going to work out. OHHHHHH I wish we would have done it. HAAAAAAAA I just realized that Liz was the last one to comment and wrote pretty much the same thing I wanted to. Yeah, I hate that I didn't do that hike. arghhh.

This post really touched me today. You and Liz, I tell you what...
love ya.