I love that fruits and vegetables grow for free (at least grapes, peaches, and apples do) in my yard. A little pruning and the fruit multiplies. Last year as I picked apples with my kids on a crisp, autumn afternoon, I had this total feeling of euphoria. I felt so self-reliant, so prepared, so noble.
This year, I am just tired. I am in the middle of getting ready for a one week vacation to go stay with Liz in New York. I am leaving kids, Cam, homeschool, and homework behind for a week, and that takes about ten months of preparation. It is almost harder to get ready to go than to just stay home. But of course, I am excited, just STRESSED.
But tomatoes and apples and grapes don't keep. They get rotten if you don't answer their harvest call and all of that great ORGANIC food gets wasted. It is more than I can stand. And so today, I am scrambling up the tree to grab the last of the apples, juicing grapes,
peeling apples,
blending tomatoes and hoping like heck I don't run out of water in the bottom of the juicer.
No euphoria this year. But those dried apples do taste good.

No comments:
Post a Comment