Thursday, November 4, 2010

Emails From Home

I was gone for 7 days last week.  I was sitting around talking, laughing, and reminiscing with some of  best friends in the world, Liz, Trent and their adorable daughter Lillian in upstate New York.  I was reading These Is My Words (what a fun book!), tucked in a furry blanket while the rain splattered the windows of Liz's sunroom.   I was eating delicious dinners and I didn't have to get anyone else's plate ready.  I was shopping and when Lillian ran off or touched fragile things I didn't have to stop her.  I was sleeping in till 9:00 a.m. and running along fields of corn and under yellow trees.  I was soaking up the spirit in the Sacred Grove,  reading my scriptures and writing in my journal and not once did I have to tell anyone to be quiet or reverent.  I met amazing members of the Church and ate lunch in a home that could have been featured in "Better Homes and Gardens."  

But my boys were here.  Without me.  Calvin was mad at Liz for taking away the "light" in his life.  He said he felt like Pippy Longstocking who lived all alone.  Coleman missed me, but faced his homework and tests all on his own and learned how to do his homework in only 2 hours instead of 6!  Cy didn't really care either way.

And Cam ran on adrenaline for 7 days straight.  I had to post his emails so I will have these forever. . .
Email 1:

Hi Sweetie,
It’s great to get an email from you.  I love getting emails that I actually want to read!  . . . We’ll have a great time at the recital tonight, I’m dressing up as Tarzan with my untrimmed chest. . . . 

I miss you like crazy, I told the people in my office that it’s Mom appreciation week.  Thanks for all you do every day.  I’m very happy that you get a little break and I hope that you’re enjoying yourself.  (But you better not be running alone!)  We’re doing fine, and making it through.   

I love you, Steff, with all my heart.  Have a good time and then hurry home to us on Saturday.  I can hardly wait.  Love, Cam
 Email 2:

Okay, so one thing I was NOT all over was the little pumpkin festival at Cy’s school.  Yes, I stopped by Ridley’s after dropping  Coleman off at school, raced back home, carved the pumpkin with him and delivered both he, and the pumpkin, on time, to school.  I’m starting to feel like a mom!
Love you and all you do.

Cam


Email 3:


I don't know if Cy will remember anything good that I do, but it was kind of exciting seeing if we could get it all done.  When we got to school a lady I knew was subbing Cy's class and asked what grade Cy was in, I said, "First...I think" and she said, "Well, if he's in Ms. Green's class, that's the class I'm subbing and that's 2nd grade."  I felt really good about my fatherhood.

Sorry we weren't home for your calls, I tried to call back but just got her voice mail.  Cal heard your message though and it made him happy.  Haven't got to prepare a bit for my talk yet.  I'll start in a minute.  I had to go over to the stake center tonight to get my computer to have internet access.  Hopefully I'll be ready to go.  I got home at 5:30 today, Coleman and I went on a jog together, then we ate Totino's pizza and salad and ran to the Varsity Preview (BYU basketball preseason intersquad game).  So Coleman missed Young Men's, I hope that was okay.  Cal got lost at the Marriott center and I found him on the opposite side from where we were sitting--scared us both, which happens to make both of us mad.

The kids are doing good, but we're all missing you.  I'm so glad you got to go to the Sacred Grove.  I'm trying not to be jealous, but I really am happy that you get to have this experience.  Stay safe and hurry home to us. Love,  Cam

I am married to the greatest man in the world! And I am so glad to be home getting people's plates ready for dinner, teaching them to be reverent, and living in a house that will NEVER be featured in Better Homes and Gardens.  Little do they know that I really do live in the Best Home because of the four boys inside of it!  

1 comment:

Sara Jensen said...

I am SOOO glad you got to have that sweet experience, and that you now love and appreciate the beauty of the daily grind!