Thursday, August 25, 2011

Summer Blues

I was awesome this summer.  I had a weekly schedule of interesting, fun, physically demanding hikes, bike rides and amazing adventures for all of us to do.  My kids were not going to sit around and say they were bored.  No way!  And so when the summer ended, I felt pretty good about the things we had done together and I was sure my children would tell me thank you and that because of me they were going to start taking time for nature, meditation, and just plain brilliancy.  No one really said anything like that.  Of course, they thanked me for the fun, but when I didn't get any quotes about the state of their souls, I pried a little.  "So, let's go around the dinner table and have everyone say their favorite thing that we did this summer."  I thought for sure, they would mention tubing on the run off, hiking to the meadow behind Y mountain, or the hot days we spent together going down slides in tubes at Seven Peaks.  Instead, they said, "I liked playing Lego Rock Band" and "I loved when I bought my new Lego set."  I wanted to kill them.  Are you serious??????  You mean I could have just stayed home all summer and read a book in my room and you guys could have rotted in front of the TV with your legos and your video games??????

Seriously, my only hope is that ONE day, they will recognize the cool things we did as a family.  But what if they have bad memories from playing video games and can't remember anything we did??????

Oh, well, I had a fun summer and now that they are back in school, my house is too quiet.  Having all your kids in school is overrated even if deep down they like to play the Wii!


No comments: