Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Homeschool

When I was little I forced my family to come (with all of my stuffed animals) down to my school in the basement. Raggedy Ann sat next to Dad and my mom sat next to them. Jeff was behind them and he kept falling back in his chair and wouldn't put his baseball bat away. I'd finally had enough and told Jeff to get out, which he gladly did, shattering the light in the hallway as he messed around with his bat. The lesson on the science behind stickers continued until Dad leaned back so far in his chair, the wooden legs broke off. After that, I think, school was cancelled.

School at the Steffani Academy, however, after 27 years is back in session. As Coleman's wonderful teacher of two years needed time to focus on her own family, we decided to have our own homeschool at our house. We decided to invite Calvin to join us, though Cy is still at Scera Park.

I have decided to let the following comments run off my back, just as I had to ignore Jeff so many years ago:
"When are we going to do technology?"
"We aren't learning anything."
"I can't do math."
"I can't read."
"I don't know."
"Who cares!"
"I've had enough for one day!"

And, I've cherished these,
"Let's do some more."
"What is up with Janice McCleavey? (the author of our failing physics projects)"
"Look what life is like from Hobbsie's perspective."
"I love that poem. Can you read it again?"
"This is great."
"This is a real homeschool. I just realized it!"
"Did you see the boat in Marie Antoinette's hair?"
"What were the French doing with all of those sticks?"
"Why did the people have to bow to Louis's food?"
"Mom, were the clergy the 2nd Estate?"

It's been about a week and a half since we started and, despite some negative comments, I am so happy we are doing this together. I love seeing my children learn. I love learning about the oath of the tennis court and having time to talk about it AT an ACTUAL tennis court. I love researching what the fleur-de-lis is right along with them.
I love learning where in the heck all of those countries in Europe are and remembering the state capitals. I love having my children home. I love reading poems about pigs and stiles and taking the time to look up in the dictionary what "stile" means. I love laughing with my kids. I love having time to read to them about the prophets' lives and even some Seven Habits.




I'm still clueless, but we're working it out. I hope the comments about not learning anything will be one day replaced with, "Mom, thanks for taking the time to teach me. I learned a lot."--Though I'm sure that won't happen until some Mother's Day Card 30 years from now. Meanwhile, the day to day has its own reward actually. I like to teach. It's in my blood, just ask Raggedy Ann.

7 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Coleman's going to lose a finger. And I miss homeschooling so much. College is just not the same. Neither is high school. *sigh*

Nixon Family said...

I think that is so great. I would love to homeschool Hunter, but I just don't have the patince. I think its great to have your kids at home with you. Thats the way it should be. Anyways way to go.
By the way if Cam didn't tell you, don't worry about filling out those foster care papers. We'll have to go on a double date and we'll tell you the story sometime.

The Bennetts said...

I'm so impressed by you (as I always am). That is so awesome! I'm homeschooling too, but only because my kids aren't old enough for school yet.

Anonymous said...

Mom...I love soooo much, thank-you for home schooling us, but...will you please quit putting sick pictures of me on your blog? Do the good ones.

love Ya!
:)

-Big C

Teresa said...

I am so glad you are having fun! what a total joy! I think I would kill my kids!!! You are amazing!

Liz, in New York said...

You are an inspiration, always. I love that you're doing this. I wish I were there to sit in on a few classes. :)

Sara Jensen said...

Wow...So can I send my kids down to you and you can send them back on the weekends? I know you are making a huge difference in their education and their lives, what a gift!