Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boys and Bread

I am determined that my boys will grow up and know how to cook. So far, they can turn on the microwave. So . . . we've got a lot of work to do, but on Saturday I had a good idea. I had a ton of things to do, one of which was to make some wheat bread for next week. I imagined how great it would be if I could just hand over this task to my boys. It sounded so country-life-ish and I loved it. So, I called the boys up, who had been asking to be able to watch yet another show!!!
No, I need you up here to bake the bread.

Cy helped with the wheat. He likes to pour it into the grinder. Then he lost interest.

I forced Coleman and Calvin, however, to hang around. They mixed the water and the yeast and the honey and the oil and the freshly ground wheat into the bosch.


When it was dough, they punched it and made faces and snakes out of it, played with it for about 15 minutes!--I had to forget about the germs, but they did wash their hands. And I have to admit, it was the best bread we've ever had. It was especially light and I think it is from all that "kneading." I think I'll have to force this activity again. And when it was over the boys said, "Thanks, that was fun." That's what I wanted to hear!

No comments: