Monday, March 2, 2009

Who Wants a Salad in their Smoothie?


I am on a health kick. And I'm kind of happy that it isn't January or anything, so it doesn't feel quite so faddish or newyearsresolutionish. The other day my thighs rubbed against my pants that had fit well for so long. I knew it was time to say good bye to those thighs and move on. So. . . I did what I always do when I need to change. I start reading. I need to be inspired by something, to be changed by something and so I started reading.

I opened up my email and found a letter from The Green Smoothie Girl. I love her green smoothie with spinach, kale, collards, flax oil and fruit. It has become a staple at our house, and so I thought I would take a look at her website, which is dedicated to whole foods. I've read her emails in the past, but they've never really convinced me that it was right to give up that nightly bowl of ice cream or that it's not really good for you to have 16 brownies, or 500 Peanut M&Ms. But, for some reason, I was in the mood. I wanted change (not the Obama kind of change, but the Biggest Loser kind of change). I wanted my thighs to go back to where they were before.

But it is funny how this has moved so beyond my thighs in the last week. I decided to give it a shot, and the main thing I grabbed onto was to have 7 vegetables a day and about 3 fruits and to drink lots of water. It has been so great because I haven't said all week, No you can't have that. Instead I have said, you have to find a way to eat 10 fruits and veges and so you'd better get started. In fact, I eat them first at EVERY meal and then see what I'm still hungry for when it is over. I can't believe how full I've felt, how much energy I've had and how clean inside I feel. I don't feel sluggish. I don't feel sick to my stomach and when I run I can't believe how much better I feel. It is amazing. We went out on Friday to a restaurant and I wasn't even tempted to order dessert (a very first for me.)

So . . . I've tried to get my family involved. I warned them that this week we would be eating a lot differently and that we'd have a chance to reteach our tastebuds how to taste again without all the sugar and gravies. And so this morning I made a "Hot Pink" Coconut/Beet Smoothie. It was really pretty. I, of course, loved it but Coleman said to me, "Mom, this tastes like a salad blended up." But, they had a sip and I had two cup fulls and I have been full and happy and healthy. And one day, they will be too.

2 comments:

debi said...

ooooo i want you to post recipes!!!

liza said...

Ok, Amanda and Melissa have been drinking lots of smoothies lately and I am totally in. I love them, but I am interested in what interesting things you put in yours. I love coconut and I love beets, so I will have to try that. I have only tried fruit with spinach, cucumbers and flax seed. I'll check out the Green Smoothie Girl, but I want to hear what you do too. I also want to hear more about your sprouting thing. P.S. Why aren't you on facebook? It is so fun. I think you might like it. It's fun like blogging, but more immediate. Great way to keep in touch.